Colorado Rocky Mountain Quotes | 24 Inspiring Sayings
When you think of Colorado, you can’t help but imagine the snow-capped peaks of the southern Rocky Mountains. Colorado today is so closely identified with this range, many people don’t know that the Mountains extend for hundreds of miles north into Wyoming, Idaho, Montana and Canada. These mountains inspire millions every year who explore their slopes and valleys. Here are 24 of my favorite Colorado Rocky Mountain Quotes. Enjoy!
The Best Colorado Rocky Mountain Quotes
1) “The Rocky Mountains realize – nay, exceed – the dream of my childhood. It is magnificent, and the air is life-giving.” -Isabella Bird
2) “And there in the blue air I saw for the first time, far off, the great snowy tops of the Rocky Mountains. I had to get to Denver at once.” -Jack Kerouac
3) “Under the rough and ridiculous circumstances of life in the Rocky Mountains there was something exciting and vital, full of rude poetry: the heartbeat of the West as it fought its way upward toward civilization.” -Wallace Stegner
4) “Each year, millions of skiers come to Colorado to experience its superb emergency medical facilities.” -Dave Berry
5) “I think the Colorado Plateau is the most scenic area in the world – let’s begin with that. Not just the United States.” -Stewart Udall
6) “The Mississippi, the Ganges, and the Nile,… the Rocky Mountains, the Himmaleh, and Mountains of the Moon, have a kind of personal importance in the annals of the world.” -Henry David Thoreau
7) “The Colorado plateau is a strange, harsh, but wonderful country, indeed.” -Donald L. Baars
8) “But the Colorado rocky mountain high I’ve seen it rain in’ fire in the sky The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullaby Rocky mountain high.” -John Denver
9) “If you want to see an awesome color, then go to Colorado. Its beauty is like no others.” -Unknown
10) “Another glorious day, the air as delicious to the lungs as nectar to the tongue.” -John Muir
11) “A crystal clear Colorado sky opens above us, a blue so deep it makes you dizzy. The occasional bright white wispy cloud dances across the firmament, punctuating the deep blue vault of heaven stretching over this paradise.” -Neil Hanson
12) “Our peace shall stand as firm as rocky mountains.” -William Shakespeare
13) “Colorado has always been a good place to find what you’re made of.” -John Hickenlooper
14) “This grand show is eternal. It is always sunrise somewhere; the dew is never all dried at once; a shower is forever falling; vapor ever rising.” -John Muir
15) “Growing up in Denver, I’m sure it started with loving the Colorado mountains.” -Gale Norton
16) “You don’t need missionaries in Colorado; you got Colorado.” -Trey Parker
17) “To a person sitting quietly at home, Rocky Mountain traveling, like Rocky Mountain scenery, must seem very monotonous; but not so to me, to whom the pure, dry mountain air is the elixir of life.” -Isabella Bird
18) “If one leaves the main towns and thoroughfares and ventures a few miles into the ‘back country,’ a fairyland of untold beauty unfolds in almost any directions.” -Donald L. Baars
19) “The Rockies are therefore very young and should never be thought of as ancient. They are still in the process of building and eroding, and no one today can calculate what they will look like ten million years from now. They have the extravagant beauty of youth, the allure of adolescence, and they are mountains to be loved.” -James A. Michener
20) “How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! To behold this alone is worth the pains of any excursion a thousand times over.” -John Muir
21) “Colorado is an oasis, an otherworldly mountain place.” -Brandi Carlile
22) “I have always loved the wild places between the Sierra Nevada range and the Rocky Mountains. The east face of the Sierra Nevada is steep and largely unknown, a wonderful setting.” -Ann Maxwell
23) “Grandeur and sublimity, not softness, are the features of Estes Park. The glades which begin so softly are soon lost in the dark primaeval forests, with their peaks of rosy granite and their stretches of granite blocks piled and poised by nature in some mood of fury.” -Isabella Bird
24) “I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery — air, mountains, trees, people. I thought, ‘This is what it is to be happy.” -Sylvia Plath
Colorado Rocky Mountain Quotes: What Are Your Favorites?
I hope you enjoyed these Colorado Rocky Mountain Quotes. There are amazing sights and experiences waiting for you in the valleys and glens of these mountains. Plan a visit or read some other Colorado Rocky Mountain Quotes here or here. Do you have some Colorado Rocky Mountain Quotes of your own to share? Leave a comment below to share them with the Next Summit community.
Enjoy This Post? Join The Next Summit Newsletter to get advice, news & stories!
About the Author: Alex Derr
Alex Derr is a mountaineer and blogger based in Denver Colorado. He is working to climb Colorado’s highest 100 peaks, and the 20 tallest peaks in California. He created The Next Summit to share advice, stories, history & reflections from the Colorado Rockies & Sierra Nevada. When not climbing, he is managing the Communications strategy at Visible Network Labs.